Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Reading Year

After hearing Donalyn Miller at Region 10 last December, I was inspired to really make reading a priority and started faithfully tracking the books that I read on Goodreads. I also entered the 2011 Reading Challenge and set a goal to read 111 books in 2011. As of today, I have read 99 - #100 is in progress. It will be close, but hopefully I can reach my goal by the end of the year - especially if I finish reading all of the new Mockingbird books that came in not too long ago before the Christmas holidays!

Since I have been keeping track of what I read on Goodreads it is easy to tell you that I have read 23,355 pages and my genre chart looks like this:


I've obviously spent a lot of time this year in the Adult Mystery and YA Realistic Fiction genres!

This year I read in more formats and using more devices than ever before. I read print books (hardcover and paperback), digital ebooks on the Sony Reader, iPad, iPad 2 and iPhone, and even listened to a couple of digital audiobooks using my iPhone. I read books that I bought, books on loan from friends, books borrowed and downloaded from Overdrive libraries (ours and Mesquite Public) and books that I got in the Exhibit Hall at ALA.

http://flic.kr/p/8pfWZ3

Looking back at the books I rated with 5 stars, I thought I'd share with you my top 10. Remember, these weren't necessarily published in 2011 - these are the top 10 favorites from the books I've read so far this year (in no particular order):

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

11/22/63 by Stephen King


Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Countdown by Deborah Wiles

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Room by Emma Donoghue

Columbine by Dave Cullen

The Ridge by Michael Koryta



How was your reading year? What were some of your favorite books? Please share in the comments!






4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see Countdown in your top 10 because I loved that book, too! One of our high-schoolers told me last year that it was one of the best books she'd ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Goodreads, and I'm 9 books away from my goal of 111. I think I'll make it with my holiday picture book blitz. Some of my favorites this year are: Out of My Mind, Room, Matched, Same Kind of Different as Me, and Bossypants. I am reading Crossed right now (the second in the Matched trilogy), and that will go on my list as a favorite, too. If you have not read Matched yet, then it would be a GREAT holiday read. I listened to it in audio format from our digital library. Merry Christmas to all and use this break for some relaxing and reading. I think we all deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to track the number I read this year too...and I've read 97 - currently working on #98 toward my goal of 100! I haven't kept them all on Goodreads so I don't have total number of pages yet, but I plan to add them up when Dec. 31st rolls around. Hard to remember them all and select a favorite but I definately enjoyed Matched by Ally Condie and am starting Crossed now. Also really enjoyed the Bailey Flannigan series by Karen Kingsbury. Will try to track on Good Reads next year so I can have the cool genre chart as well! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started using Goodreads this summer as a way to note the things I might tell students for a book talk on that title. I've really enjoyed it because much of the dystopian and realistic fiction starts to sound alike; now I have a way to tell them apart.
    Some of my titles that I marked 5 stars were Out of My Mind, Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien (and the sequel Prized is off to a good start too), Room, Girl Stolen by April Henry,I Beat the Odds by Michael Oher (every educator should read), An Unspeakable Crime: The Prosecution and Persecution of Leo Frank by Elaine Marie Alphin, Heaven is For Real, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

    ReplyDelete