Tuesday, February 18, 2014

STAAR Webinars

A couple of weeks ago I posted information about some STAAR webinars that were being offered by Region 10. I had them labeled for elementary only, but after watching the one about inferencing last week, I realize that they are really for all levels. 

A couple of my take aways/applications from the one I saw were:

1. The ELAR STAAR test is not a reading comprehension test - it is a WRITING ANALYSIS test. Our students must see how reading and writing are connected. The examples and details provided by the author are what help the reader infer and understand the text.

2. There are many types of inferences. Good readers are inferring all the time. See examples of inferences readers make below:


3. If we are working on making inferences with students, we need to make our "I will" statements more specific depending on the type of inference we want students to make. For example, a lesson frame might be:

We will listen to the story of Strega Nona and discuss what happens when Big Anthony doesn't pay attention.


I will identify the cause of the problem in the story and tell my partner what the effect of the problem was.


If you really want to understand more about the STAAR test and the level of teaching that must be done in order to prepare our students to be successful, I highly recommend these Region 10 webinars. The ones that have already taken place are archived at https://olc.region10.org/pd/course/view.php?id=534.

No comments:

Post a Comment